Thursday, May 31, 2007

Vanity and Pride

I remember when I was in college in upstate NY. One day I received these crazy vintage pants from my friends grandmother. They were crazy! They were polyester with tiny blue and white polk-a-dots all over them. I was so proud of the way I looked in these pants. I thought I was h-o-t! (can we say vain?)
Anyway, I remember how I paraded myself around campus all day. Vain as a peacock. I mean, I went everywhere I possibly could. Let's face it, I was looking to get "checked out" and I did. I had lots of people compliment me as they walked passed. But then I also heard what sounded like snickering after they walked away. I ignored it, and chalked it up to the fact that they must be jealous or something.
It wasn't until I got back to my dorm that night and changed for bed that it happened.
As I took my pants off, I stared at them around my ankles in disbelief and screamed very loudly in horror. I had a big fat hole about three or four inches wide straight up the seam! As I wagged my little bum around all day, EVERYONE was getting a clear shot of my pink underpants. Not cool.
Proverbs 16:18 says that "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.
Well, that day I experienced the destruction of my pride and vanity. Not that I still don't struggle with those things a bit here and there, but now I'm much more aware of them. :)

No comments: