Monday, June 2, 2008

In the Waiting...

I saw Indiana Jones last night. At the very end of the movie one of the character's said something that echoed inside of me.
"How much of life is wasted in the waiting."
I kept thinking about that statement....How depressing that would be if it's true.

There are so many things in my life that I'm waiting for...is my life presently being wasted in these season's of waiting? Is yours? I hope not.

There is so much for me to learn in the waiting...Things to learn about myself, Things to learn about the character of God, things to learn about His word. There is still so much for me to learn. If I didn't learn to rest in the waiting seasons, I would NEVER be prepared for the things that I have currently! Crops don't grow unless you till the ground and plant the seeds. And even then, they don't just pop right up. The seeds must die in the ground before the crop comes out of the seed.

If everything I ever wanted was simply handed to me on a silver platter I don't believe I would really appreciate them the way that I do. I learn humility in the waiting. I learn patience in the waiting. I learn self control in the waiting.

All these things can be summed up in one word. Discipline. I learn discipline in the waiting. And I am learning to grow up...even as an adult. Is if fun? Not really. But do I believe in the end it's worth it? You betcha. ;)

So no, I don't believe I'm wasting my time or my youth in the waiting. In the meantime, I'll keep planting seeds and I'll keep tilling the ground in the garden of my heart, my life.

Won't you plant with me?

8 comments:

Mega said...

Depends on what you're waiting for I guess.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I think some people waste life in the waiting though. They simply sit idle while they wait for whatever it is, not realizing that waiting doesn't have to be passive. Unlike you, tending & learning & stretching your personal boundaries, they let the days of waiting pass by them, moments lost, opportunities neglected. We may have to wait but those waiting periods don't have to be wasted.

duopastorale said...

Great thoughts. The waiting is hard until we learn that is the destination. Blessings :)

Susan Skitt said...

There are seasons like that, and God teaches us so much if we are willing to listen... I agree.

Susan Skitt said...

Oh yeah, the Indy movie was action packed for sure:) My boys loved it - me too (except my oldest was disappointed with the alien thing). How about those nasty fire ants? Yikes!

Colleen said...

Hey Mike! Thanks!

Susan- "If" being the critical part! Yeah, the Alien thing was lame-O and I was freaking out about the fire ants...nasty stuff!

david mcmahon said...

Brilliant, Colleen.

RiverPoet said...

That is absolutely true. Waiting can be a meditative state. You may want to check out a book by Sue Monk Kidd called When the Heart Waits. It's excellent.

Peace - D