Thursday, June 21, 2007

Embarassment en Totale

Ever walked out of the bathroom with toilet paper stuck to your shoe? Well, this story is even better then that.

I was on holiday with the family I was nannying for at the time. We were staying in a gorgeous suite in Whistler, Canada. I had only started with this family two weeks before, so we were still getting to know each other. We also had another family joining us for the vacation. After a fun day of skiing we were all preparing for dinner in our suite. I excused myself to use the loo for a moment. Sometimes, I suppose out of habit in restrooms, I still place toilet paper on the seats in hotels. I quickly hurried up as we were about to eat.

I came out of the bathroom blabbing on about something and was walking all around the room when one of the little girls came up to me and said very loudly, "Colleen, why do you have a trail of toilet paper hanging out of your pants?" "What!" "I exclaimed. I slowly turned around and looked down at my bum to see the long trail of toilet paper hanging out of my pants, just as she said.

"I, I don't know." I stammered. I could feel my face burning and my body starting to sweat. There was no getting out of this. I had walked all around the room drawing attention to myself with conversation. Everybody looked at me and quickly looked away. Which made it worse! What was I supposed to say? Admit that I put it down on the seat and it must have gotten caught in my jeans when I pulled them up? No way.
So I decided to make light of it. I let out a fake pathetic laugh. "Ha ha." I said as I grabbed the toilet paper out of my pants and waded it up into my fist. "I can't believe I did that!" I said to everyone. They again all looked away and started talking very quickly pretending not to see. The kids on the other hand, thought it was hilarious and and started to giggle.
I decided to leave the room at that point. I needed a second to swallow my pride and let the dark red beet on my head disappear so my face could return.
Regretfully, this same scenario happened one more time with this family. So from now on for me, toilet paper=slight paranoia.

No comments: